I am not able to relate much to other people. I think I am slightly happier living abroad than living in my own country for this reason. Here at least I can feel less guilty about not being entirely comfortable with the people and culture around me. Imagine my excitement then when I found this line in a very nice book I've been reading, "Exile is to the thinker what home is to the naive; it is in exile that the thinking person's detachment, his habitual way of life, acquires survival value." I couldn't have put it better myself. These are the moments of "literary resonance", when I can completely relate to an author's point, when I feel like clenching my fist and muttering "yess!" under my breath, that make reading such a pleasurable and worthwhile exercise to me. Of course it will amount to dishonesty if I claimed to not miss my comfortable home environment. Like anybody else I would prefer living in a culture where I knew through the reflexes developed by childhood conditioning what to do and how to behave in a given set of circumstances, but a part of me, a very large part in fact, would gladly exchange that for the peace and quiet, the insularity and detachment, that a lesser known alien culture provides. Will the recluse in me grow lonely one day? Who knows, time will tell. All I know is I will always like thinking and reading. :)
Tuesday, May 3, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment