Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Psychology and personality types

I've always had the hard scientist's disdain for psychology.  
I am shocked to notice however that I have been consuming psychology literature at an alarming rate over the last few months.  There is plenty in it to keep me interested and a lot that I can relate to. For example this passage from Jung about the "intraverted" personality type resonated with me a lot :

"Either he is taciturn or he falls among people who cannot understand him; whereupon he proceeds to gather further proof of the unfathomable stupidity of man. If he should ever chance to be understood, he is credulously liable to overestimate. Ambitious women have only to understand how advantage may be taken of his uncritical attitude towards the object to make an easy prey of him; or he may develop into a misanthropic bachelor with a childlike heart. Then, too, his outward appearance is often gauche, as if he were painfully anxious to escape observation; or he may show a remarkable unconcern, an almost childlike naivete."

I often have felt these things about myself. So this passage jumped out and hit me in the face when I read this in a site. It is almost depressing to think of myself as a prototype of some kind of personality, and having had all my personality already typecast and recorded.  What is more distressing is the nagging suspicion that all this is nothing but white man's astrology, and that I am obsessing over it just like many do with zodiac signs.

1 comment:

Clarissa said...

Psychology is fascinating to me, even though all of its founders are such convinced woman-haters (like you can see from the paragraph you quote.) I don't feel hat my knowledge of how the human psyche works limits me in any way. Just like it's helpful to know at least some basic things about the workings of the human body, it is useful to know how one's psyche works.