It gets my goat when an American college kid fails to articulate him/herself properly in English, which is the one precious language most of them speak with any degree of competence anyway. It beats me why I come across such cases so frequently particularly since Americans as a society seem to value verbal intelligence and an ability to be assertive/persuasive with words more than the culture I have been raised/schooled in.
Today for example I received this email from an undergrad who wants to be considered for some makeup Quizzes (I have rarely seen him in class and he's done poorly in the few Quizzes he has taken) . He had a chat with the professor who apparently told him that it was at the graduate student TA's discretion to award makeups (I hate the way the profs keep passing the buck on us as well, and sometimes I respond in kind ;) ) and he writes to me : "Prof. Y told me it is your discrepancy to give me the Quiz". Now I am thinking it will really be a discrepancy in my policy to give you a makeup Quiz for no good reason while your peers have worked hard and regularly throughout the semester.
I really don't disrespect you as a person for not doing well in my Physics 1 class (a lot of my students, particularly the girls, seem to have the impression that I have a very low opinion of them :P ). People do have their own interests and motivations, and the hard sciences are not appealing to most non hard science majors who make up the ranks of premeds in my class. Also I have gotten used to the idea that the education system here is very different from India and not many people learn math and science as thoroughly as we did in high school. But please, why can't you make the effort to speak or write two sentences correctly in your native language when the society around seems to place so much premium on this skill?
Saturday, November 20, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
You just hit on my pet peeve in this course. It took me a long time to reconcile myself to the sad necessity of starting each semester with an explanation of the difference between "there", "their" and "they're" or "effect" and "affect", etc. etc. This is what the system of "learning for the test" in high school does. Sad, indeed
Yes I know. This post was actually inspired by your lowkey, sarcastic style in posts about academia and pedagogy. :-)
Post a Comment