Monday, October 4, 2010

Wishlist for a new laptop

* functionality : most of my computer usage can be grouped into two categories : casual and academic.

The former includes browsing the web, reading blogs and ebooks, blogging myself, checking email, watching movies, and downloading and processing photos (and I plan to get into more serious photography).  I am not a gamer and the others mentioned in the list do not place any stringent costs on the hardware.  A good memory (4 GB is good enough) and a 64 bit OS on a dual core machine would be very sufficient. This is more a matter of good web browsers and suitable flashplayers and an updated version of adobe acrobat, and also a fast internet connection than laptop choice methinks.

"Academic" would include web-based work (which is well-taken care of by google) and using applications such as Office,  and mathematical packages such as Maple or Mathematica and programming such as C compilers. This is why I am worried about buying a MacBook - since I have these apps for Windows, and having to procure them for Mac would imply another bout of illegal downloading. Also this could be heavy duty when I am using Matlab for example, and I wouldn't like to compromise on processor speed or RAM by going for lower end machines. I wonder whether a tablet pc would be capable of handling all this.


* Interface : I am slightly bored with the Windows interface, and could do with some change in the way menus drop down or files are selected and opened. This is why a MacBook is tempting.  On the other hand, a touch screen and being able to sketch and write directly on the screen is way too cool a prospect to be ignored (tablet PC).  I have not used Linux for casual purposes yet and anyway it could be installed on any machine as an additional OS.

* Security : a reasonable amount of this is welcome. I have had a couple of virus attacks on my Dell Inspiron with  Windows Vista and 7.

* Physical features : The greatest concern here is heating. I think some laptop models are inherently defective.
Problems with the lcd display are a close second. I know a lot of people who have had issues with this and have had to buy new laptops just because their lcd died. My own Dell Inspiron is now showing black patches on the lcd for some unknown reason.  I have had problems with battery (it often doesnt charge up) and the AC adapter ( some wires tore off , also end doesn't fit very well). Weight and size are secondary to me as I dont intend on traveling a lot with my lappy. Also Dell Inspiron has had issues with ethernet connections. I also tend to spend a lot of time staring into my laptop, especially as I like writing, I'd like something with a low glare screeen that is easy on the eyes.

Currently I am torn between a conventional laptop (Dell, HP, Lenovo, Sony) and a Macbook Pro and a Tablet PC. Since I already have used a Dell laptop and expect another good six month's service from the one I currently have (before the battery system or the lcd screen fails completely) I am more inclined towards the latter two options. My budget is around a 1000 USD (of course I am aware I'll need to shell out more if I am to  get a Mac)  Suggestions are welcome!

No comments: