I have come to mildly detest living in a lower context culture.
I find the exchanges in typical American social intercourse to be somewhat inefficient, where too many words (punctuated by pauses and accents) are used to communicate even trivial matters. Examples could include formally polite phrases ("thank you so much for your help", when a simple "thanks" or a nod of the head or smile could have worked), lengthy discussions in technical manuals (I have seen this done many times while teaching physics, but I'll stop short of citing examples in a blog that I try to keep strictly non-technical) , people telling long-winded and predictable jokes, or using contentless phrases as fillers in a conversation (like "like" in college conversations), or in general trying to cover up deficiencies ( a student : "Can you write that down on the board, please, because I am a very visual person?", after not understanding my verbal explanation of a physics problem. She of course wants it worked out on the board so that she could copy it in her book) . In the beginning, that is of my stay in the US, I used to be a fan of spelling things out clearly. While I still think that this has some value in formal or technical situations, I think it renders day-to-day informal communication somewhat cumbersome and robs some spontaneity and color off it. An Indian friend who's quite the standup comedian, once made fun of the American way of speaking, as being mostly about being assertive and showing a lot of attitude and claiming a lot of entitlement, while being remarkably deficient in content (he of course said this much more colorfully and colloquially, and I am just putting up an Americanized and sanitized version of what he said) - and I would agree.
I mostly tend to speak fluent and flat (that is without the accents) English, which is why many Americans think I am speaking too fast or too soft. This means I often have to repeat myself, pause more, and put more accent on the right syllables, to get the message across. This is so tiresome. I do not want to expend a great deal of energy on speaking words - it is supposed to be spontaneous and fun. While I like writing in English, I think I would like to speak to people in non-accented and fluid languages like Spanish, more. I leave out my native language from this discussion because it defines my identity and I have deeper connections with that (though not necessarily at a literary level). What's more, my way of speaking English, is now getting to be mostly about being understood by an American audience in professional and social situations. Sometimes I feel physically tired of doing this.
No comments:
Post a Comment