Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Facebook and Twitter "update" inspirations

Being moderately addicted to facebook means I have become very adept at writing profound sounding one or few liners that impress/amuse/irritate people.  I am sure twitter is even worse that way , which is why I have never tried tweeting.   Nowadays I often get sudden inspirations and ideas about things to put on facebook, and often shamelessly engineer them to get maximum publicity.

This temptation for instant publicity is interfering with my writing process, I feel.  A clever idea that could have been worked into a short story, or at least a webcomic ( I once started a blog for that too), is now being born as a stunted facebook midget, delighting  attention-deficient social networkers for fractions of a second, and getting consigned to the cluttered bin of internet jabber.  What if my thoughts, my whole life, in fact, becomes a series of facebook updates, punctuated by the mundanities of real life?  Ah, horror of horrors!  At this rate I will never have the patience to write anything properly, and all my writerly pretensions will go to waste, and I will remain just a facebook standup comic .

No comments: