Ok I am in Europe for a few weeks and yes I am supposed to blog about all my muy magnifique experiences, yeah bitte? The glib trams that trundle past quaint cathedral spires jostling with modern glass facades, charming cobbled alleyways overlooked by flower framed windows with troubadours skillfully fiddling away while elegant people wine and dine in the open air taverns unhurriedly appreciating the good life, the young crowd of summer backpackers living it up with good beer and legal pot (crack makes for more prestige points) , the cushy safety net of a welfare state where one need not be mortified by the prospect of being sick or of the risk of violent crime, the haven of legalized prostitution for those who want to have some innocent coming-of-age fun (and let's not forget how much the practitioners of the world's oldest trade benefit from the regulated working conditions and health benefits), the extremely energy conscious bike-hugging citizens, the football, the food, the fashion : but you all know about it, don't you? Europe is the last word in human civilization - the model which the rest of the world should aspire to follow (failing which everyone should emigrate here). I am only mock sarcastic. Yet I am afraid this is all the short term tourist's rose-tinted view. And all said and done it's much easier to find a job and blend in the $$ land. Culture is secondary to economics., has always been. When I come back next I will try to live and work here for a longer time. And then perhaps you'll find something more interesting to read about in this space. Yeah I suck at travel writing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment